Welcome to the Kinde community.

A
A
A
M
T

error 500 when trying to add permission or role via Kinde UI

Hi, I've just started using Kinde. I'm trying to add a role or permission to my user in my dev environment, but I get a error 500 with no further information.
J
A
d
21 comments
I get the same error when using the prod environment.
I only have one role, one user, one permission.
error 500 when trying to add permission or role via Kinde UI
How many roles or permission do you currently have setup?
are there any other ways I can add permissions or roles? I don't see anything usable for this in the management API, and I still can't do anything through the site
feature flags don't seem to work either 😭

I can create them and assign them, but I'm always getting the default value despite having overridden it for a user, restarted my dev server, logged out and back in
the feature flag issue is totally unrelated to the error 500 issue, but really I just want a simple boolean on a user so I can define an admin role/perm/feature, and so far nothing is working
@Jeremy are you able to DM your Kinde Domain, so I can check your account? As everything seems to run fine for me in a test account.

FYI you can add a permission via the API https://kinde.com/api/docs/#create-permission
I will DM you my domain.

I have not retested the issue since reporting it, for the record. I will try over the next 16 hours or so.

as far as I can tell, that link is for creating a new permission, not assigning a permission to a user.

thank you, by the way.
This is still an issue, and I'm surprised I'm still having it. I wonder if it is related to a behavior I saw early on. When I first signed up for Kinde, I added my first user using the Add User button. After doing that, attempting to view the user gave me an error when viewing the page. So, I deleted the user, and then made that same user using the regular sign-up flow. That allowed me to view the user, but I still can not add permissions or roles. If there is a more efficient method of getting support, please let me know. Thank you!
We will update you once the team team has found a solution for you.
looking forward to hearing back from the team team πŸ˜‰
Hi @Jeremy we've identified a 500 bug which occurs when trying to assign roles and permissions when the user is not assigned to an organization (roles and permissions are linked to a user and org). Could you try assigning an organization to the user first then trying again please. We'll raise a fix for this today, thanks for flagging the issue.
ooh that sounds like it's it!
is there any reason to use orgs (or even just "default org") if I have no need to separate users in that way? my app only needs roles at most.
All users in Kinde belong to at least one organization, so you will need to add your users to the default org and assign them the roles and permissions there.
this is not quite true, I can unassign all orgs leaving users with no org. As well, there is an option to add users to the default org. Turning that off leaves new users with no org. Finally, I can assign roles and perms directly to the user, without using orgs (however that causes an error - but it does let me try)
if what you're saying is true behind the scenes, then the web UI/UX may need to be updated to align. especially the default org option.
Sorry Jeremy, that is my bad. I forgot we have a toggle in the Environment settings about this.
Attachment
image.png
Add a reply
Join